Saturday, February 5, 2011

Any Human Heart


Masterpiece Classic is my favorite show on television. It's always good, even when it's mediocre, like the last Wallender series. I loved Henning Mankel's character, Wallender (or is it Mankel Henning?) The first MC of three of the books were wonderful. The last, not so much. The wonderful Downton Abbey just finished up four episodes and will come back again in a few months, beginning the second half of the story two years later, in 1916.

In the meantime they will show 'Any Human Heart' one of my favorite books, right after Pillars of the Earth. It's the story of one man's life and the people he meets along the way - Ernest Hemingway, Virginia Woolf, the ghastly Duke and Duchess of Windsor. But it is his day to day life that I found so touching in that it's not tremendously successful, but far from a failure - it's just there, like all of our lives. In the end you think, oh this man has suffered terribly, but he reflects upon his life and remembers mostly the good. Then you do too.

I sobbed like a baby at the end of the book.



Of course, I am partial to this because it stars my favorite Darcy - Matthew Macfadyen. He's lovely. If you have any doubts go to Darcylicious and look at some of their pictures of him. Eyebrow waggle good looking.

BRAIN TEST ALERT
http://www.freebrainagegames.com/ This is fun to take and you can cheat if you take it a few times. Not certain if that doesn't defeat the whole purpose but...


DOROTHY PARKER -
"I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host."









No comments: