Saturday, February 26, 2011

AWARD SEASON and THREE MUSKETEERS AND MATHEW MACFADYEN

The annual ridiculous award season is upon us and seeing as we all know who'll win for Best Actor I thought I'd write about the movies that are up for the great prize.

I've seen only two. The King's Speech and Black Swan. Of the two The King's Speech is far superior in that (1) it has a complete beginning, middle and end; and (b) Colin Firth is good to look at, and (iii) it made some sense.

The Black Swan had none of these.

Natalie Portman was very good but - oh my - the scene when she's walking and her legs bend backward like a Florida lawn ornament. Eeeh! The whole movie was like a Salvador Dali painting - quicksilver - you can't really grasp anything.

I had a thought that Colin Firth was just doing Darcy as an older man in the movie. Similar expressions and personality. Darcy at fifty getting the oscar! Who'd have imagined.


Three Musketeers in 3D



Can't wait for this movie with two of my favorite actors - Ray Stevenson and the absolutely wonderful Mathew Macfadyen (in yet another bad haircut) Well, I hope this is a good movie because the both deserve a big break.

I watched the first episode of Any Human Heart (again my boy Matthew) but couldn't watch the second - it was way too sad. I cried like a baby when I finished the book and was depressed for a couple of days. I'm telling you, men authors can be quite the sad sacks. I haven't read any Nicholas Sparks but I hear he's sort of rude and besides all the movies of his books end with the hero dying. I'm getting depressed again. Time for....


More Matthew

1 comment:

LucyParker said...

Some days your blog is my sunshine. Loved the MM video, well both of them, but the second one is special because of the odd hair chuckles. Perhaps there's something in his contracts that allows for ridiculous hair. He needs to smile more, those are the photos that make my knees weak.

I liked your CF/TKS assessment. I used to think that Colin had so much Darcy in him, showed in every movie and video. The lightbulb finally went off that I saw Darcy because so much of Colin's mannerisms and inflections were in Darcy. And, now that Colin's making grown-up movies, in all of his characters. Colin does Colin very well. Even more reason for an Oscar!

Hoping that Musketeers turns out well, in spite of everyone's hair.