Monday, April 16, 2012

BEFORE AND AFTER (and Benedict Cumberbatch)

BEFORE


This will be brief but I have to get it off my mind.

I've made fun of the past few months with our tenant from hell and I've talked to a lot of people about this and when I relate to others all her tales of woe the one comment I keep getting back is that "she's not your problem."

Well, I'm really tired of hearing that.

She IS my problem.   All of our collective problems are our neighbors problems and we can't dismiss others so lightly.  I am not proud of what we did, not by a long shot.  I like Toni but I found I didn't believe what she was telling me and we needed to move on.  If she had been up front with us and honest we would have worked something out with her.

However, without trust you have nothing, and we just didn't trust her anymore.  Something is wrong with Toni, I realize that.  She was charming and childlike but irresponsible.  The moment you help her from one difficulty she relaxes with her feet up to wait for the next.  She never stands on her feet as an adult would to take charge of her life.

It makes me wonder about her upbringing.

But for so many people to say immediately, "that not your problem," well, that's not right either.


AFTER

Well, ok, so I was wrong.  I texted Toni and told her that today the disposal company was coming by for her things between eleven and four and I also told her we'd take the cat to a shelter.  She FINALLY texted me back that she was staying by the pool across the road and would meet us at our condo to get the cat and her things.

Rich and I got there at 10:30.  We waited until eleven and then I texted her again that we were there, where was she, and that the disposal company would arrive soon. She texted back (a miracle - her phone has healed itself) she would arrive in a half hour.   The disposal company came at 12:30, still no Toni so I had brought a really nice travel bag I was giving to her with the thought that if she didn't show I would pack the bag with whatever I could.  I texted her again.  "There're here," I said.  "They're taking the stuff away."

She texted me immediately (this is the girl who has half convinced me that the reason she never replies to my texts is that her phone is broken and text messages get to her hours after they are sent, if ever)  She said "Who's taking what?  Where?"  I couldn't believe it.  She had no idea what was going on.   I texted her "They are taking your stuff."  She texted.  "They can't do that.  I have a suitcase with ready and other things."  I didn't answer her.  I just grabbed the clothes atop her washing machine and stuffed the bag, told the man to leave it on the lanai.

Three hours later I heard from Toni.  "You fucking bitch!  You deliberately saved garbage for me - you took this from the garbage!  You intentionally gave away my good clean clothes and left me with garbage.  Karma is a bitch and so are you!"

Ok.  And I was going to give her money too if she had arrived.

She sent a dozen more texts in the same manner - then started whining about her grandmother's china and her $100 shoes - she hasn't even paid her rent for two months!

Now the condo is empty and our painter was there today.  She said the windows are black with something, and it's not cigarette smoke.  Also there is fecal matter (other than the cat's) and blood on the rug in the bedroom (I wonder if that's why she slept on the floor in the living room and not in her bed).

Oh, and we found out today that the security gate for the complex that had been bashed in was bashed in by one of Toni's visitors.

Ok, I get it.  She really is not my problem.  I feel so battered and bruised now that I finally have reached the point were I don't care.

And I hate that she's done this to me, but there it is.




The voice from heaven



No comments: