Saturday, May 21, 2011

PROPOSALS and Richard Armitage




The recent wedding of William and Katherine was lovely, romantic, elegant. It brought to mind, among other things, the tale of Cinderella, finding her handsome prince, defeating the evil step-family, living happily ever after. One would hope, anyway.

His long awaited proposal was really very lovely. They were staying at the Lewa Downs Wildlife Conservancy and he popped the question by a lake next to the slopes of Africa's second-highest peak, Mount Kenya. Only accessible by helicopter, the RAF pilot flew his bride-to-be to the lakeside in a borrowed helicopter.


Very nice. To put this into the perspective of the average person, my own proposal was in a church after mornng mass. My future husband knew I was upset. I had hoped Rich would propose at Christmas, but he didn't and this was a few weeks later. He knelt beside me in a little church in Skokie, Illinois, held out the ring and asked me to marry him. It was wonderful and a surprise and I cried (with relief - he HAD finally asked me and I would not starve. He bought pizza later.)

Kenya would have been nice, though. But I digress.

How likely is their marriage to survive? Who knows. Richie and I have been married eighteen years now; it feels like eight months. My life began with him. No one can really predict who will be happy and who won't. I wonder about other proposals, other marriages.


CHARLES AND DIANA

According to some sources, Charles proposed to Diana in January 1981 while they were drinking champagne at his home, Highgrove. But Diana in her own words as professed to the biographer Andrew Morton said that the Prince of Wales proposed to her on the evening of February 6, 1981 in the nursery of Windsor Castle. The book stated Diana's words something like this: "He said, 'Will you marry me?' and I laughed. I remember thinking, 'This is a joke,' and I said, 'Yeah, okay,' and laughed. He was deadly serious. He said, 'You do realize that one day you will be queen.' And a voice said to me inside, 'You won't be queen, but you'll have a tough role.' So I said, 'Yes.' I said, 'I love you so much, I love you so much.' He said, 'Whatever love means.'"



ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER AND MARIA SHRIVER

This famous actor- turned-governor proposed to the vivacious journalist Maria Shiver after eight years of dating. In the summer of 1986, Arnold took Maria home with him to Thal, Austria. While they were in a rowboat on the lake where Arnold swam as a child; amidst the childhood memories and things, which mattered most, he popped the question to Maria. Recalls Maria in an interview, her first reaction was "'Are you serious?'. Arnold presented her with a diamond engagement ring. He was serious. 'We'd been together eight years, so naturally I said, 'Yes!'


DENZEL WASHINGTON AND PAULETTE

He's one of Hollywood's biggest sex symbols, but Denzel Washington's marriage proposal to his wife, Pauletta, wasn’t exactly the stuff of a fairy-tale romance. He proposed to her over the phone while he was on location filming the TV series "St. Elsewhere." The couple tied the knot on June 25, 1983, and they have four kids together. In 1995, the couple renewed their wedding vows, in a ceremony presided over by South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

What is the moral to this - I suppose nothing, other than it really doesn't matter how impressive the ring, or how exotic the location for a proposal. What matters is the people involved, do they share the same beliefs, the same goals? Is there a commitment to go the distance, no matter what? Are they loyal?

No one but the people involved really know what is in their hearts. You can just wish them the best and say a prayer. Marriage is the most importan decision you will ever make, your choice of partner will effect your entire life.

That and if you both love Italian food.

TODAYS RICHARD ARMITAGE FIX

Did you know?
At the age of 17, Richard ran away to Budapest to join the circus and become a clown in order to gain his Equity card


2 comments:

Grace Elliot said...

I just love the transposed pictures from Cinderella and, Wills and Kate wedding. So funny!
My husband proposed over a baked potato one lunch time. I totally lost my appetite after I said 'Yes' - for happy reasons!

LucyParker said...

Prince Charles almost looks like a caricature of himself in that picture. Good thing Diana passed on some pretty dna for her boys.

I've always noted that romance movies are about getting together, not staying together. Why doesn't RA make a movie for us like that?